Just some of the stories in the July-August issue of Fair Housing News:
- Black Families Pay 10% Higher Property Taxes than White Families, According to New Study. Read the July 2, 2020 Washington Post article. Read the June, 2020 study.
- Surge in Anti-Asian Harassment and Bigotry Since COVID Emergency Began. Read the July 21, 2020 New York Times article.
- Investigation Finds Some Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Mortgage Borrowers are Paying More for Loans.Read the August 6, 2020 NCRC report release.
- ADL Study Discovers 28% of Americans Experience Severe Online Harassment and Members of Marginalized Groups Experience Even More Hate. Read the June 23, 2020 ADL release.
- While Transit has Improved Since the 1990 ADA, Important Service Gaps Remain. Read the June 26, 2020 Washington Post article.
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Rescinds Plan To Limit Payday Lending Rates. Read the July 7, 2020 New York Times article.
Landmark Supreme Court Ruling Affirms Native American Rights in Oklahoma that could affect Housing Rights. Read the July 9, 2020 New York Times article.
To read this issue of Fair Housing E-News: fhnews20julaug.pdf .
Chat FREE with a lawyer about your civil legal matter. FREE legal help in civil cases for individuals who do not have a lawyer.
8:30 am – 8:00 pm, Mon. – Fri.
Click to get in-person help:
FILE A HOUSING DISCRIMINATION COMPLAINT
Maryland Residents can file with Either the State of Maryland or HUD:
Maryland Commission On Civil Rights (MCCR) 6 Saint Paul Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202. 410-767-8600 / 800-637-6247
US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development. 10 S. Howard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. 410-962-2520 / 800-669-9777
Baltimore City & County Residents can file with:
Baltimore City Office Of Civil Rights.7 E. Redwood Street, 9th floor, Baltimore, Maryland 21202. 410-396-3141 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Baltimore County Human Relations Commission 6401 York Road, Suite 1013, Baltimore, Maryland 21212. 410-887-5917. / email@example.com
ARE YOU CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR HOUSING?
To search listings, go to the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development’s MD Housing Search.
Read Our Self-Help Guide to Getting Housing (pdf).
KNOW YOUR FAIR HOUSING RIGHTS:
Read our brochures:
Fair Housing & You.
For People with Disabilities.
State of Maryland (MCCR).
MCCR in Spanish / Español.
DO YOU HAVE A TENANT OR LANDLORD PROBLEM?
To know your rights, see theMaryland Attorney General’s page.
For free tenant-landlord counseling:Maryland District Court Self-Help Resource Center.
Hot Line – 410-260-1392.
Centers are located in –
Baltimore – Civil Division, 501 E. Fayette Street, 3rd Floor.
Glen Burnie – District Court Building, 7500 Gov. Ritchie Highway, Room 205.
Frederick – County Courthouse, 100 W. Patrick Street, Lower Level.
Salisbury – District Court for Wicomico County, 201 Baptist Street, Room 2248A.
Upper Marlboro – District Court Bourne Wing, 14735 Main Street, Room 069B.
Paying too much on your loan? Get help!
Examples of predatory loans:
Balloon payments, Excessive points and fees, Packing (additional things without your knowledge), and Large mortgage broker payment.
Read the “Eight Signs of Predatory Lending” to see if you are a victim.
Read predatory lending tips of the Maryland Attorney General.Click to Learn More & Get Help.
READ OUR FAIR HOUSING MARYLAND BLOG!
It has just-breaking news about Fair Housing & related issues, profiles, reviews, resources, books, obits, and more.
Read it here.